Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Welcome!

This is the fourth blog I've started in the past three years. Why, you may ask? I tried to start a blog on LiveJournal but I was not satisfied with their format. I then migrated to Yahoo 360, but that didn't seem to get much traffic and in any case the Yahoo 360 network doesn't appear to have been successful.

I then yielded to the Dark Side and signed up with MySpace. Despite their frequent technical glitches I found the MySpace blog to be very easy to use, although having to set up a Photobucket account in order to add pictures to my entries was a minor pain. I don't think however that my intended audience visits MySpace that often, and I've mainly found it to be a vehicle for transmitting warmed-over viral videos, dirty jokes, and teenage gossip. Mind you, teenage gossip spread by actual teenagers is only a minor annoyance. Teenage gossip spread by women in their thirties is another matter entirely.

Yes, my family has drawn its very own cyberstalker. Unfortunately this individual has the added feature of being someone we know in person and who lives in the same city as us. So my wife and I have both set our MySpace profiles to private to keep her from eavesdropping on us or misusing the material on our sites. As for anything she may do offline, we'll let the authorities handle that.

So, why am I doing this? As an active member of science fiction fandom, I want my fellow fannish friends who have elected not to join a social networking site to still have access to the book and video reviews and original content I was posting at MySpace. I'll probably move a lot of my older entries over here, and keep this strictly for my fandom activities.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the blog! Be sure to leave lots of comments!

1 comment:

mythusmage said...

Good luck with the project. BTW, if you'd like something a tad easier to work with, try WordPress